Lavender is one of the most beneficial and versatile essential oils in the world today. Hailed for its antioxidant, antimicrobial, sedative, calming and anti-depressive properties, the use of lavender for therapeutic and cosmetic purposes dates back thousands of years.
The Egyptians used lavender for mummification and as a perfume, and when Tutankhamun’s tomb was opened in 1923, there was said to be a faint scent of lavender that could still be detected after 3,000 years. The Romans used lavender oil for bathing, cooking and air purification, and in Biblical times, the oil was used for healing purposes.
It is because of these natural healing and restorative properties that lavender is such a popular ingredient in a wide variety of skincare products. The subtle fragrance is calming and relaxing for the body (which is why it makes such a fantastic ingredient for our Pure Aura: Lavender and Vanilla natural deodorant), but you might also be surprised to learn that it has more practical applications, such as shaving cuts, bruises and easing skin irritations.
Here’s Our 8 Top Reasons to Love Lavender:
- It rejuvenates the skin – With its antiseptic and antifungal properties, it has helped treat skin problems for centuries.
- It eases anxiety and insomnia – Scientific evidence suggests aromatherapy with lavender may be as effective in soothing the nervous system as some pharmaceutical relaxants.
- It aids digestion – Your stomach has as many nerves as your brain so it’s no surprise lavender can help to calm the digestive system.
- It smooths cellulite – Lavender improves circulation, tones the skin, prevents stretch marks and dispels fluid retention, helping reduce the appearance of cellulite.
- It relieves headaches and pain – Gentle massage with lavender oil not only melts away body tension, but is an effective way to relieve pain from headaches, sore muscles, aches and sprains.
- It aids sleep – lavender’s relaxing properties can help you to drift off to sleep. Just rub a drop of lavender oil on your palms, and smooth onto your pillow. Alternatively, put a diffuser by your bed to help you wind down and improve sleep quality.
- It soothes stings – a drop of lavender oil on a bee sting or insect bite can help to reduce itching, thereby assisting quick healing. The effect is maximised when lavender oil is combined with other essential oils, like cloves, cinnamon or tea tree oil.
- It eases skin conditions – lavender oil’s anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties can help to ease minor skin conditions and ailments when topically applied.
We chose lavender as a key ingredient for our first scented natural deodorant, Pure Aura: Lavender & Vanilla, because of its light, pleasant scent, and also the relaxing, restorative and antioxidant properties described above. Pure Aura is now available in Spray formulation, as a Roll On and as a Refillable Roll On.